A Torsk CO has passed away

This forum is dedicated to the preservation of the WWII submarine USS Torsk in Baltimore, MD

Moderators: Gilbert, Bruce

A Torsk CO has passed away

Postby Darrin » Sat May 13, 2017 10:48 pm

Sadly while on Don Gentry's bbs tonight I saw that a former CO of the Torsk has gone on eternal patrol.

For those whom served with him I am truly sorry for your loss and of course the families loss as well.

Here is the post:

EDWARDS, Frederick A., Jr, CAPT, USN, Ret., passed away on Monday, May 1, 2017, in Fort Belvoir, Virginia. He was the son of the late Frederick A. Edwards and Bessie (McKichan) Edwards. Born in San Diego, California on July 27, 1926, he graduated from the U.S. Naval Academy in 1950 and served for 27 years in shore and sea duty assignments, including commanding the submarine USS Torsk (SS-423) and the USS Rushmore (LSD-14). After retiring, Fred and Alice spent several years cruising the canals of Europe in their boat Magnum. They returned to Virginia Beach, Virginia, where Captain Edwards worked for a few years in real-estate. He then turned his life-long love of boats into an occupation, working as a Marine Surveyor. He is survived by his beloved wife of 66 years, Alice (Baumgardner) Edwards; and our children, Frederick Edwards (Sun), Christopher Edwards (Rebecca), Cynthia Docos (Brad), and Jennifer Tidd (Mark); 11 grandchildren, and seven great-grandchildren. Interment will be in Arlington National Cemetery at a later date. Please visit for updates www.demainefunerals.com Published in The Washington Post on May 12, 2017

Rest your oars sir, we have the watch
Darrin

Re: A Torsk CO has passed away

Postby Gilbert » Mon May 15, 2017 12:12 pm

Darrin,

Thank you for this update. It explains why he never responded to my recent letter.

Captain Fred was a wonderful man and he will be missed.

Gil
Gilbert

Return to General Discussion