The Official Report for Week Ending August 14, 2011

This forum is dedicated to the preservation of the WWII submarine USS Torsk in Baltimore, MD

Moderators: Gilbert, Bruce

The Official Report for Week Ending August 14, 2011

Postby Gilbert » Wed Aug 17, 2011 5:41 pm

Summary of shipboard & offsite work for the week ending August 14, 2011

Saturday, August 13

Torsk Crew on board: Chief Mike, Dave, Cathy, Tim, Chuck, Larry S, Melissa, Little Al, Kevin, Michelle, Tracey, Charlie, Tristan, and Jaime

Started out the day by running the water hose into the Forward Engine Room. Almost the whole crew participated in the pressurizing of the diesel fresh water cooling system for #2 ME. It took only a short time to discover that there were leaks from two out of the three flanges on the fresh water temperature regulating valve. So, they attached an air hose to the blow line and attempted to blow the water back out of the system. A number of other leaks were found, including the sensing line for the temperature regulating valve and the constant vent line. After about an hour they got the leaks fixed and actually moved water from the system to a bucket. The good news is that it appears that all the leaks were fixed. Other good news is that the fresh water system gauge appears to work fine, and the temperature regulating valve for the #2 ME is working. They found that the fresh water supply valve was toast, no valve disk, so that valve will need to be replaced, as well as the valve stem for the constant vent shutoff valve. All in all, progress was made. Next step is checking out the #1 ME cooling system as soon as we can replace the fresh water supply valve for the #2 ME cooling system.

Dave and Tracey worked on the removal of the engine DC lube oil pump. First, they removed the cast transition piece between the motor and the pump. (The pump was removed last week.) They also loosened all of the bolts securing the motor to the aft bulkhead. Sounds pretty easy, but this thing is in a beastly tight location in the after starboard corner of LLER. Tracey has just the right combination of small size and mechanical ability to get jobs such as this done. Next step is to remove the motor or swing it to one side. It’s a 1945 version of a 3 HP motor that weighs 150 lb.

Chuck secured the butt kit at the Control Room steering station. He also shortened a screw on the Maneuvering Room growler.

Tim polished brass in the Engine Rooms.

Little Al changed light bulbs and gave tours.

Kevin gave tours and cleaned in the forward torpedo room. Michelle polished the forward capstan.

Cathy, Charlie, Tristan, Tracey, Larry and Melissa did housekeeping

Offsite during the Week:

Cathy painted Engine Room Indicator panels.

Gil worked on TVA admin duties

Onsite Volunteer Hours – 85
Offsite Volunteer Hours - 12
Total Week Hours – 97

2011 Year to Date Volunteer Hours – 3398

That’s it for the week.
Gil Bohannon
Gilbert

Return to General Discussion